Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ask Me What Its Like...

    People always ask my how i'm feeling, but they never ask me what its like to have a spinal cord injury. First of all yall have to know its ok to ask me. I'm not sensitive about it and am happy to answer any questions you may have. With that said.

    I have a SCI that involved incomplete damage to my cord at C4,C5, and C6. Incomplete meaning no severing of the spinal cord. Basically, just bruised. This is often referred to as spinal shock. Those 3 vertebrae were fused. They replace the disks with bone grafts and secure them with a plate. After about 6 months the 3 vertebrae have fused into one solid bone. Anywho....

   
    An injury at this level affects approximately from the upper chest down. Initially in the ICU it was causing breathing issues for which I was but on a ventilator. Fortunately I was only in a vent machine for about 5 days. As of now my breathing is normal. I get winded easily but I attribute that to low stamina.

    The biggest issue I faced from two weeks in the ICU was muscle atrophy. Most of my muscles are weak and Im having to work on developing them again. My forearms shoulders and chest are small compared to before. I also have whats called muscle spasticity. They contract on their own. Muscle tone is another problem I deal with. Its a stiffness of my muscles that limit my range of motion. It feels as if  I have springs in my triceps. Its a struggle to bring my hands to my face. I also have a tough time raising my arms up over my head. When I sit for a while and extend my legs my whole body planks and my arms, hands and fingers extend by my sides. Im on medication to control this.

    I have nerve pain which is also called neuropathy. Specifically I have an area on my shoulder and neck which is extremely sensitive and by sensitive I mean ticklish! On the flip side it can be painful. Sometimes it feels like Im literally being poked with needles. I also am occasionally hyper sensitive to sound. Sometimes in the quiet Im startled by a cell phone notification, or by the dryer buzzing or even by my sons coughing in another bedroom. It sends a shock through my nerves like electricity. I feel like someone jumped out of the dark at me with a butcher knife.
   
    Im numb through most of my body. I do have some feeling but touch feels as if its being done through a layer or two of clothing. The other night my son helped me hop on my motorcycle to start it up and let it run. I burned my inner calf on the muffler and didn't notice it till the next day. I need to be careful. A burn like that could have cause a condition called Autonomic Dysreflexia. A condition that can cause a stroke.

     Theres also the psychological aspect of my injury. I deal with anxiety and some depression wondering whats next in my life. I had a very physical job Im no longer able to do. Dealing with insurance companies, getting my long term and Social Security disability set up, in addition to typical stresses of everyday life.  I in no way want anyone to feel sorry for me. I just know some people are afraid to ask questions about my accident or injury. I know God has a plan for me. I want to thank all of you who have followed and have prayed for me through all of this. It means a lot! 





No comments:

Post a Comment